(14. June 1822, Nagyvaradolaszi – 18. September
Antal Pech was born in Varadolaszi,
a small town that belongs to Nagyvarad, in 1822. His father
(Antal Janos Pech, 1791-1853) and his grandfather were both
carpenters. His mother was of noble origin, but without
He attended catholic primary school and grammar school (in
Latin) in Nagyvarad, then studied in Temesvar for two years,
this time in German. Because his father lost all his money,
he had to walk all the way to Selmec, where he joined the
Academy. Here he didn’t have to pay for tuition, and also
managed to get a scholarship. Education here was in German
He graduated in 1842, with an excellent result. He started
working at the local stamping mill as an apprentice by Peter
Hittinger. His family also moved there, so his brother Jozsef
could study as well. The chamber sent him to Joachimstal
to supervise the equipment of a stamping mill in 1847.
As a result of his participation in
the revolution of 1848-49 (as an executive of the Kossuth
government), he wasn’t able to find a job in Hungary. He
moved to Bohemia in the spring of 1850, where he started
working at the coalmine of Klostergrab (Hroby) than from
the summer of 1851 at Mahrich-Ostrau.
In 1855 he became the director of the coalmine by Schatzlar
In 1857 he became the director at one of the most significant
plants of the Ruhr-region in Bochum. Here he participated
in founding the Mining Union (Bergbauverein) of the local
mining, iron and steel plants around Dortmund. The plant
under his coordination successfully survived the economical
In 1862 he returned to Hungary. He introduced
innovations and new technologies in mines and foundries
all over Hungary.
Between 1873 and 1889 he was the director
of the mine at Selmecbanya.
He was the first in Hungary to use mechanical drilling when
finishing the tunnel II. Jozsef. With the help of drilling
machines using compressed air, in 3 and a half years they
managed to build a 2326 meter long tunnel. The tunnel was
handed over on the 21st October 1878. He was elected the
freeman of Selmec, and in 1879 he received the Cross of
the Lipot-order. Although he was invited back to his previous
position in Bochum with much better conditions, he still
stayed home in Hungary.
He retired in 1889, and was elected
the Member of Parliament of the Selmec-Belabanya free royal
mining towns. He was a founding and board member of the
Orszagos Magyar Banyaszati es Kohaszati Egyesulet (Hungarian
Mining and Metallurgical Association, OMBKE)
founded in 1892.